Saturday, March 10, 2007

So... After a long gap of few months, I thought of writing a new blog. I am in Seattle, WA. The Rain City. It was too cold when I came here in January. Covered with snow for more than a week. I never went out of my home, since cold was too much for me.

I was working with one of my clients, who was into mobile applications. A new area, for me. It was even difficult than the web stuff. Here you need to write code that works in various devices that has different capabilities. When I was working with web, I thought browsers are the worst platform one can ever write applications for. Now I realised that there is always a worse thing than what you deal with.

The problems are so many. You need to think about WAP devices, XHTML enabled devices, small screen devices, black and white devices, and smart devices and what not. Frankly speaking this is a nut that is hard to crack. Each vendor has their own style of doing it.

So our client created a common platform that leverage the mobile .NET platform. It uses specific things like different CSS, different rendering etc for each specific device that falls out of the common-ally. Such a pain, you know, the testing...

So we use a new design pattern called Model View Presenter. This enables us to do proper unit testing without the hassles of ASP.NET page architecture. You can have different views with same presenter, which allows us to create Mock views for testing purpose. Checkout the benefits of using MVP model. Later I will write a full blog on how to go about leverging the maximum throughput of MVP.

1 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home